The winter garden may not be that inviting at first glance. But if you bundle up warm for a walk through it, you will be surprised at what delights await.
Oh, the weather outside is frightful…
Those lyrics may sound familiar, especially at this time of year with the holiday season upon us. And in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere the weather is frightful with winter storms bringing snow, rain, wind and cold temperatures.
Most of us are holed up inside or at shopping malls, rarely venturing outside into our gardens. I’m the same, preferring to work on projects inside the house instead of getting cold and wet in the garden.
However, there are some great experiences you can have in the garden if you bundle up warm and take a chance that it won’t rain for a few minutes or the blizzard will stop for a little while at least:
- pick some vegetables for dinner if you are lucky and still have some hardy winter vegetables that are protected or are surviving freezing temperatures
- feed the birds and make sure they have a supply of unfrozen water
- watch the birds
- pick some holly or evergreen boughs for a display inside or on your front door
- talk to your neighbours over the fence about their holiday plans (assuming your neighbours are not holed up inside)
- share some extra produce with your neighbours – you might have to ring their doorbell if they are holed up inside
- put up some holiday decorations including lights in your backyard, even if it is just you that can see them
And a bonus: when you come back inside, you can warm up with a nice hot beverage and perhaps a piece of shortbread or other holiday treat and dream of your garden warming up in spring.
- Free 5-day challenge -
ready to grow and eat More healthy, fresh, homegrown food with your family?
Learn How Easy it is to fit growing food into your Busy Family life
Starts august 22nd!
If you enjoyed this article, have something to add or have any questions, please leave a comment below.
Wishing you all the best!
Tranquil Urban Homestead, Victoria, BC
Introducing the Seed to Table Membership!
Join a paid community of other families who are dedicated to putting healthy, fresh, homegrown food on the table.
With monthly online garden gatherings, live workshops and a digital magazine you’ll learn tips, tricks and easy to follow processes to make growing your own food easy and successful!
No more overwhelm or struggling by yourself!