Are you looking for quality gardening books, seeds, supplies and tools? This Gardening Resources page has my personal picks for the best gardening resources.
Some of the links below are affiliate links. I earn a small commission for recommending these products at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
By Marc Thoma
Do you ever wish you could make tea with fresh mint from your windowsill? Or make a salad with ripe red tomatoes from your own front porch? Even if your space is limited, Urban Gardening for Beginners can help you get growing at home.
Bursting with advice for cultivating everything from chamomile to zucchini, this planting guide will have you swimming in fresh, sustainable ingredients. Learn how to build a grow light for your studio apartment or turn a tiny patio or balcony into a lush garden oasis, so you can have homegrown food anywhere.
By Marc Thoma
One of the best things about herbs is that you don’t need a large plot of land―or even any outdoor space at all―to grow them successfully. Whether you’re envisioning a small container garden in a sunny window or a raised bed in your yard, Herb Gardening for Beginners provides all the information you need to cultivate herbs for a wide range of purposes. You’ll find step-by-step instructions and troubleshooting guidance for every stage of the process, from planning your garden to harvesting and using your herbs.
By Charles Dowding, Stephanie Hafferty
No dig organic gardening saves time and work. It requires an annual dressing of compost to help accelerate the improvement in soil structure and leads to higher fertility and less weeds. No dig experts Charles Dowding and Stephanie Hafferty, explain how to set up a no dig garden, including how to:
- Make compost and enrich soil
- Learn skills you need to sow and grow annual and perennial veg
- Harvest and prepare food year round
- Make natural cosmetics, cleaning products, and garden preparations
by Niki Jabbour (Author), Joseph De Sciose (Photographer)
by Lindsey Schiller and Marc Plinke
The Year-round Solar Greenhouse is the one-stop guide to designing and building greenhouses that harness and store energy from the sun to create naturally heated, lush growing environments even in the depths of winter, covering principles of solar greenhouse design and siting, glazing material properties and selection, controlling heat loss, ventilation, and construction methods.
Additionally, an in-depth section covers sustainable ways of heating the greenhouse without fossil fuels, including using thermal mass and storing heat underground with a ground to air heat exchanger.
by Carolyn Herriot
This definitive month-by-month guide brings gardeners into the delicious world of edible landscaping and helps take a load off the planet as we achieve greater food security. Full of illustrative colour photos and step-by-step instructions, The Zero-Mile Diet shares wisdom gleaned from 30 years of food growing and seed saving.
Put organic home-grown fruits and vegetables on your table throughout the year, using the time-saving, economical and sustainable methods of gardening outlined in The Zero-Mile Diet. This book is about REAL food and how eating it will change our lives for the better.
by Carolyn Herriot
Full of seasonally relevant, practical information, this bestselling weekly gardening guide can be picked up any day of the year for timely advice on how to create a beautiful, healthy ornamental landscape and food garden. Full of helpful tips and recipes, this highly illustrated book covers everything from soil building to pruning to four-season food growing and seed saving, interspersed with recipes, poetry and humour.
Organic gardening expert Carolyn Herriot digs up:
– four secrets of successful soil building
– methods to maintain a healthy green lawn
– non-toxic solutions to common garden problems
– plants for impossible places and perennials with personality
– pruning, plant propagation and more!
by Deanna Delong
When you dry food, you’re saving everything: energy, nutrients, money, and, best of all, taste. This step-by-step guide to drying all kinds of fruits, vegetables, and nuts is also the most comprehensive reference available for methods of drying and home dehydrating equipment. The only book needed to master this age-old culinary tradition, How to Dry Foods includes:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to dry a wide variety of foods
- Updated information about equipment and drying techniques
- More than 100 delicious recipes, from main courses to desserts and more
- Helpful charts and tables for at-a-glance reference
- Food safety tips
- Clever crafts that are made from dried foods
by Jamie Oliver
From the author: This book is very close to my heart. It’s about no-nonsense, simple cooking with great flavors all year round. When I began writing it, I didn’t really know what recipes I would come up with, but something began to inspire me very quickly . . . my vegetable patch!
I came to realize last year that it’s not always about looking out at the wider world for inspiration. Being at home, feeling relaxed and open, can also offer this. I love to spend time at home in the village where I grew up, working with the boss, Mother Nature, in my garden and seeing all my beautiful veggies coming out of the ground.
Inside you’ll find over one hundred new recipes, plus some basic planting information and tips if you fancy having a go at getting your hands dirty as well!
These are all eBooks I have written and have for sale in my online shop.
Note that these are all digital downloads, not physical books.
Learn how to build a strong, attractive children's garden planter box for your kids or your grandkids to provide them with their own space to be creative and grow their own tasty, healthy vegetables and fruit (even if you are not an experienced woodworker or DIYer) Comes with these additional bonus PDF...
Learn how you can easily grow lots of healthy, fresh food for your family in a beautiful family raised bed garden at home (even if you’ve never gardened before) A full guide to planning, preparing, building, planting and maintaining your first raised bed garden, filled with homegrown veggies and fruit....
The proper raised garden bed construction techniques will give you a long-lasting bed for many years to come. Learn how to build a sturdy, attractive raised bed for your family's veggie garden in this eBook. Full-colour photographs and detailed instructions, including tips on how to protect the bottom of the...
Artline garden marker pens – “garden markers” are fast drying, waterproof and contain ultraviolet filters for maximum fade resistance. These markers are xylene free which makes them environmentally friendly.
- LONG AND THICK ENOUGH – Long: 656 Feet Thick: 2mm Very durable, you can use jute twine for a long time
- ECO-FRIENDLY – made by biodegradable hemp, very environmental
- WIDELY USED – great for gardening projects, crafts, bundling
- HANDY TO USE – Packed on a coil and it is very convenient to use. You can cut freely according to the length you want
- Set of 12 clever connectors let you easily create a variety of simple garden structures
- Made in USA silicon rubber Garden Connects stretch to accept 3 canes or round stakes from 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter
- You can use a variety of materials for stakes and combine sizes: twigs, bamboo, metal or PVC pipe
- Structures built with Garden Connects fold like an umbrella at end of season, allowing for easy storage
- Chemical, ozone and extreme weather resistant with a tensile strength of 850 psi
- Includes 100 self adhesive kraft seed envelope pouches
- Suitable for storing seeds, coins, keys, beads, screws, etc.
- Peel off strip on flap to seal (1/2 inch flap)
- 120g kraft paper envelopes; writable uncoated finish
- 4.5 x 3.25 Inches
HOSS Tools take great pride in each and every product they sell.
Every garden tool, pest control, fertilizer and garden supply in their inventory has been tested in their very own gardens and used every day to have a healthy, vegetable garden.
Google Reviews: 4.8 stars
Seeding Square, the square-foot seeding template helps you maximize growth in limited space.
The concept is inspired by the popular gardening method: Square Foot Gardening, whereby seeds are sown in specific positions within a square foot, allowing enough room for each to grow to maturity without wasting space.
Simple to use, the template shows correct seed spacing with color-coded holes matched to a planting chart of 46 types of vegetables, allowing you to quickly know where to drop seed (or seedlings). A graduated dibber (dibbler) with depth markings removes the guesswork out of setting the right planting depth. The dibber also functions as a seed spoon, which can be used with the included funnel to deposit tiny seeds accurately.
When done seeding a square foot section, the impressions left in the soil allow you to line up the template for the next square foot, thus letting you use it to plant your entire garden.
- VERSATILE TUB: Multipurpose tub will hold cleaning supplies, pet toys, sports equipment, or works as a garage or car organizer
- HEAVY-DUTY: Heavy-duty construction will not rust or fade
- CARRY HANDLES: Handles for easy carrying
- GREAT FOR OUTDOORS: Perfect for outdoor use, weather and UV-resistant
- DESIGN: Smooth edges ensure safe usage around pets or children
- Maximum power and precision: All-steel blade stays sharp longer; Rust-resistant, low-friction coating helps glide through wood; Self-cleaning sap groove keeps blades from sticking; Non-slip grip handle and easy-open lock make control and storage easy
- Long-lasting and reliable: All-steel design provides excellent durability for lasting value. Fiskars pruning shears and tools are built to last and backed by a full lifetime warranty.
- Ideal for a variety of pruning tasks: Works well for trimming bonsai tree branches, cutting flower stems, maintaining your herb garden, and more to encourage overall plant health and appearance.
- Includes 1 Fiskars Manual Bypass Pruners measuring 5.5” long. Makes clean cuts on stems and light branches up to 5/8″ in diameter.