Welcome to healthy, Fresh, Homegrown!
HEALTHY, FRESH, HOMEGROWN is dedicated to helping families with kids grow their own food at home.
Family Food That is Simply Better! Better taste, better quality, better for you.
There are many reasons food grown at home within steps from your kitchen is better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.
- You control what is put on the veggies and fruit you are growing. You can choose to not use synthetic chemical fertilizers (to feed the plant), herbicides (to control weeds) or pesticides (to control insect pests). You can make sure veggies do not come in contact with animal contaminants. Can you say that 100% about the produce you buy in the store?
- You control when and what you harvest. You always have fresh produce, not produce that has spent days in a truck and on the shelves in the store. You can harvest just-in-time for maximum freshness and quality.
And there are other benefits as well.
- You can teach your kids where their food comes from. They can see the full cycle from seed to table. And even back to seed when you start to save seeds.
- You can save money. Eating out of your garden at least a few months of the year can make a huge impact on your family’s budget. Especially if you’re normally buying only organic at the grocery store. There are many money saving ways to grow food inexpensively.
- You can become healthier in the garden. You’ll benefit from fresh air, exercise and a connection with the earth and nature.
There’s also the sense of accomplishment and pride when you bite into that first homegrown tomato or put a few strawberries you grew on top of your granola and yoghurt (or ice cream!)
So is homegrown worth trying? You decide. It’s not for everyone and it does take some effort – you can’t just imagine a vegetable garden and have it magically appear.
But the rewards are oh so worth it! And YOU CAN DO IT!
What's stopping you?
So you want to get started growing your own food. But, it’s the “get started” part that is holding you back, right?
Not only that, you probably believe some of the myths out there when it comes to growing food that make you hesitate. After all if it were so great, why isn’t everyone growing their own food?
Before we go any further, let’s address these myths.
- You don’t need to move out into the countryside and buy acres of land. A standard 1/8 acre urban or suburban backyard can supply you with loads of fresh veggies and fruit. Enough to eat and even enough to preserve so you can enjoy homegrown food in winter!
- You don’t need to have rows and rows of long vegetable beds that take you all weekend to weed and water. You can start off with a small manageable raised bed that you can build yourself (yes, even if you are not a carpenter!) and maintain in just minutes a day
- You don’t even need a backyard. You can grow many veggies and even fruit trees in pots or containers on a balcony, deck or patio. Or you can even grow indoors with the right lighting.
- You don’t need to buy a shed full of expensive tools that you’ll use just once or twice. You can get away with a small collection of tools and even repurpose household items in a pinch.
- You don’t need to have any experience growing anything. You can learn what you need to know as you need to know it and ask for help if you really get stuck.
No matter your circumstances or where you live – YOU CAN DO IT!
So no more excuses. Even if it’s right now the dead of winter, you can at least start planning for the spring. Taking just one step will start your homegrown food journey. Ready to take that step?
Get Instant Access To A Comprehensive Library Of FREE Downloads
Everything from Cheatsheets, Worksheets, Checklists And Guides On Gardening And Homesteading.
Print them out and take them with you into the garden or on your shopping trips.
A Link To The Downloadables Library Will Be Sent To The Email Address You Submit Below:
What will you Learn on your Homegrown food journey?
Everything you need to know about homegrown food!
- simple tips on planning what to grow
- the right way to start seeds and then transplant them for the best possible results
- building your soil to be a healthy home for your plants’ roots
- time-saving tips to care for your plants, including how to easily solve problems
But the best thing you’ll learn is picking, preparing and eating your harvests with your family!
Quick wins are key when you’re first starting. You want to go from seed to table in the easiest way possible!
Once you have gotten your feet wet with your first year growing your own food, you can then expand to grow more varieties of vegetables and fruit and grow large quantities.
And maybe, just maybe, you’ll love home-grown food so much that you decide to go full bore with an urban homestead, just like me.
Who is behind Healthy, Fresh, Homegrown?
Hi, I’m Marc!
I am a father, husband, published author and gardener who loves to teach my 6 year old daughter where the food she eats comes from and how it is grown. I also help support my wife’s restricted diet by choosing to plant vegetables she can eat that doesn’t aggravate her health condition. We love our healthy, fresh homegrown vegetables and fruit!
From the moment I first saw what was to become our backyard, I knew we had found something special. From the mature fruit trees to the space for a vegetable garden, we had the foundations for growing healthy, fresh food at home. Over the years we’ve developed it into what we call our “Tranquil Urban Homestead”.
Every day I am so grateful that we can go out and pick that fresh tomato or a handful of berries and eat them right away.
It can’t get any healthier and fresher than that!
I’m sharing these experiences with your family, so that you too can enjoy the benefits of homegrown food. It’s not as difficult as you may think, nor does it take a lot of time, especially in the beginning when you’re starting small.
And that is key: start small! Over time you will be able to build on what you learn, but for now let’s help you get some quick wins on your table.
Thanks for stopping by!
And be sure to follow me on social media to keep up to date on everything that is happening on Tranquil Urban Homestead, including the amazing harvests!
Victoria, BC, CANADA
Okay, I'm ready to get started!
If you’re a beginner, just starting out, you’ll want to read: Homegrown Food For Beginners – The First Year
If you’ve already grown some food at home and want to expand to growing more food with more success, you’ll want to read: Homegrown Food for Families – The Second Year
And if you really want to take it to another level and turn your back yard (and even your front yard) into an urban homestead, you’ll want to read: Homegrown Food As A Lifestyle – The Third Year And Beyond